History

After purchasing Titus Nurseries around 1930, Mr. Quillen put these words, and his hands, to some good use. Blessed with the rich soils and moderate climates of Virginia’s beautiful Shenandoah Valley, Mr. Quillen went to work. He changed the name to Waynesboro Nurseries, and then created a thriving, multi-faceted business based on this solid principle. We have continued to grow and change in his footsteps, right along with the demands of a growing and changing marketplace. We have increased our production facilities from 15 acres of rented land in 1922, to having over 1,200 acres devoted to raising nursery stock today. We have expanded our product mix to include over 500 varieties of ornamentals.
We have also been through a number of different enterprises on our journey. As the scenic Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway became a major tourist thoroughfare, Waynesboro Nurseries operated two retail locations within minutes of these highways, and did so right into the 1960’s. Just after World War II, when more Americans owned homes than ever before, Waynesboro Nurseries added a catalog division and became one of the largest and most recognized mail order houses on the continent. The scope of our undertaking is more focused today. We grow, sell, and ship quality nursery stock to landscape contractors, re-wholesalers, and garden centers throughout the Mid-Atlantic States. But as always, E. M. Quillen put it best: “It is not so much what the customer pays, as what he gets for what he pays, that determines his degree of satisfaction.”